Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Chicken-Shrimp Jambalaya

I had to cook this dish the full 4 hours on the high setting in my crock pot because I used regular brown rice and I added the rice together with the ingredients that had to go into the pot at the beginning. My crock pot does not have a 2 hour high setting, so after 2 1/2 hours the pot was not even bubbling.

This is my first jambalaya and it is very tasty!

Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 4 1/2 hour (low) or 2 1/4 hour (high) plus 20 minutes


Makes 8 servings


1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast halves

2 cups thinly sliced celery

2 cups chopped onions

1 14 1/2-oz can no-salt-added diced tomatoes

1 14-oz can reduced-sodium chicken broth

1/2 of a 6-oz can no-salt added tomato paste

1 1/2 tsp. salt free Cajun seasoning

1 tsp. bottled minced garlic

1/2 tsp. salt

1 1/2 cups instant brown rice, kasha, or quick-cooking barley

1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped

8 oz. peeled and deveined cooked shrimp

2 Tbsp. snipped fresh parsley


1. Cut chicken into 3/4-inch pieces; set aside. In 3 1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine celery, onions, undrained tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, garlic, and salt. Stir in chicken.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting fro 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours or on high-heat setting for 2 1/4 to 2 3/4 hours.
If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in brown rice and sweet pepper. Cover and cook fro 20 to 30 minutes more or until rice is tender. Stir in shrimp and parsley.

Exchanges: 1 Starch, 1.5 Vegetable, 2.5 Very Lean Meat,
Carb Choices:2

Recipe Source: Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic Living

2 comments:

Beachlover said...

Puteri:
your dish look good..look like paella..I never taste jambalaya b4..You use slow crock pot to cook this dish?.I just bought a 6 qtr crock pot from Walmart at $12.99,Hamilton brand.How about using iron cast pan??..I bought a iron cast pan to cook paella b4 I found a Paella Pan.But using iron cast pan or Paella pan to cook over stove heat ,it take less than 1 hour to cook.I get my iron cast and paella pan from Macy's

DCampbell aka Puteri said...

Lesley,

Yes, I use my crock pot to cook this dish. The recipe says use crock pot, so I used one. I have never done this dish before this, but I guess any pot will do as long as it cooks and turns out the way you want it to.

It is very tasty even though I thought jambalaya was more soupy. I was thinking of gumbo! :-)
Anyway, it is a dish I don't mind doing again. Easy to prepare, and very tasty too! ;-)

Err, I don't know what size my crock pot is. Maybe 4 quart if not 6, haha, I don't know where the box is now! The first one I had was smaller but it broke after a few times of use. Must be lousy brand, a wedding gift. The one I have now is Rival. I think I must have got it from Walmart. Forgot already. I have been using it more often because of my new diet! Hehe.